Monday, February 11, 2013

In Der Nacht.....


          Today marks a gruesome day in fictional history. There were troubling times in Gilead as the Eyes and Rebels engaged in a stealthy trench warfare. On one side, Eyes wanted to contain the Handmaids and squelch the Rebels. On the other, Rebels took great risks to free the Handmaids. As I stand near the Wall, awaiting my "just" end, I shall recount the events from my perspective.

        On my first day as a Handmaid, I eyed everyone in the room suspiciously. Points were rewarded for surviving, and I couldn't trust a single person if I were to earn at least 20 of them; this was the objective the Handmaid's Mayday. The air was casual, and I spat out the greeting, "Praise be" to lessen anyone's suspicion. Recently, and tentatively, to be honest, I had become a Mayday Rebel. The day passed quickly in my furtive investigation to find any Eyes--- the treacherous fools--- and the first night came.

         As I feigned slumber in the classroom (I refuse to call it my classroom), I first tried to be furtive and peer through the gaps of my crossed arms as the music and patting began. As my head slowly rose, I counted three other unanticipated others who were valient enough to join my ranks in liberation. Just in case my fellow liberators have continued in their heroism, I will name them: Mophead, Flaxen, and Chestershire Cat. All four of us didn't know who to choose, so the first Handmaiden to select was a great risk. As I lowered my head and the night went on, I noted that only one person left. Even when I could hear the Eye music play, there was no audible sign of immediate execution. Praise be! We were successful.

          The next couple of days and nights went on just as smoothly as the first, give or take the dissappearance of an Eye (good riddens!). On the fourth day, however, I noticed that Flaxen was missing. Immediately, everyone noticed her absence. Sarah quickly figured out that a rebel must have been executed, and my blood rushed. I couldn't help but wonder if I could be discovered now that the number of Handmaids diminished. That night, as I rose with Chestershire Cat and Mophead, the group decided to chosoe another Handmaid to liberate. The music covered my steps, but I was still nervous when I woke Emily up. With a grin and an extended hand, she silently chose to become one of Us.

        After Emily joined, I began to gain confidence in my safety. Then, as I lied back down to rest, I realized that one of the Handmaids shifted to peak. Corina, a possible traitor or friend, had turned her head so quickly that I almost didn't notice. Just as I realized this, someone tapped my shoulder. It was a small tap, but it terrified me at first because it was during the rhythmic sound of Eye music. Looking over my right shoulder, I saw Derrel. What? "Are you an Eye?" she mouthed. For some reason, at that exact moment, I couldn't lie. Upon joining the Mayday Rebels I thought I could, but I just couldn't lie! So, in less than five seconds, I ended up where I am now, with a bag over my head and only minutes away from execution.

                   ****************************************************************

       At the end of the day, I don't have many regrets.  I learned that I should walk more quietly and that a certain extent of trust will always prolong my existence, since my fellow Rebels kept me alive longer than other Handmaids. However, I also learned from the experience that I shouldn't discount people who look nice (like Derrel) from having the boldness to passively murder me or sentence me to death. In the obscurity of the night, anyone can be merciless.

      Overall, The Handmaids Mayday was fun because I was able to live vicariously through the daily threat of persecution and death of the Handmaids. The thrill that I lived through during the class activity kept me interested with the plot of the Handmaids Tale by giving me more personal experience on the risks that Offred often tries to avoid. Now I have a deeper understanding of Offred's first person view.

No comments:

Post a Comment